The Higher Ground program provides assistance to youth ages 12 to 17 and their families. These services include crisis intervention, non-residential/prevention counseling, case management, and if necessary, temporary housing shelter for youth currently residing in Ingham, Eaton, or Clinton counties.
Professional staff are onsite and available to provide crisis counseling 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may speak with a crisis counselor by calling 877-833-3689 or 517-882-7217.
Our process typically proceeds as follows:
- A call is made to the crisis line at 877-833-3689.
- An initial assessment of need is conducted.
- If shelter is required and admission criteria are met, staff will help make the necessary arrangements. Youth ages 12 to 17 can receive emergency shelter for a maximum of 21 days in the Higher Ground Program. If eligible, youth ages 16 to 21 can receive up to 18 months of shelter in the Crossroads program.
- The youth and family work with a counselor to determine goals.
Services can continue on a non-residential basis beyond the 21-day shelter limit.
During your stay, we suggest that you avail yourself of our optional services, including:
- Individual counseling for such concerns as nutrition, personal safety and medication
- Life skills development including communication and employment
- LGBTQ support
- Pregnancy and parenting
- Personal budgeting and planning
We will refer you to local community resources for services we are unable to provide directly. These may include:
- Physical or mental health care services
- Child care
- Legal assistance
- Long term housing
PARENTAL PERMISSION is generally required, with some notable exceptions. If you are 14 years old or older, you can speak with our licensed therapist for up to 12 counseling sessions or 4 months without parental permission.
TRAINED PROFESSIONALS staff The Kevin J Moody Youth Home 24-hours per day. They are knowledgeable and supportive of the issues young people experience. We provide 3 meals each day, linens, hygiene supplies, and all other basic care needs. In return we ask that you work closely with staff to create and collaboratively achieve a successful transition plan.
YOUR CONFIDENTIALITY and that of others in the program are of the utmost concern. Besides the concerns you share with your counselor, you have the responsibility to protect the confidentiality of other clients in the program including their identities.
VOLUNTARY DISCHARGE from the Kevin Moody Youth Home is optional at any time. Additionally, you may be asked to leave immediately should you:
- Physically harm or threaten to harm yourself or another resident
- Damage or steal Youth Home property or the property of another resident
- Emotionally or verbally abuse another resident
- Violate Youth Home standards after repeated warnings
- Engage in a sexual or dating relationship with another resident
- Possess and/or use illegal drugs or alcohol on property or return to the Youth Home while under the influence